Sooner or later, just about every business needs to move to a new location. Whether it’s driven by growth in staff sizes or a need to expand into a more high-traffic part of town, relocating your business is just a part of its lifecycle.
Although upheaval is a natural part of any business relocation, you’ll naturally want to minimize the problems involved with getting to your new home. Avoid hassles during you move by attending to five of the most overlooked bits of wisdom for business moves.
- Start Early: Most business don’t uproot on a whim, but start making arrangements with your moving partner in advance – up to 10 months before your move date. Don’t schedule your move with movers any later than six months before you find you spot.
- Rent a Roll-Off Dumpster: Your new location should be a fresh start for your company. Jettison all the junk that accumulated in your current space. Outdated files, ancient computers, unneeded furniture and other items typically accumulate in businesses. Use the move as an opportunity to get rid of everything you need.
- Overlap Your Leases: Business moves are rarely as cleanly executed as residential ones, so it’s important to give your leases a lot of overlap. Construction can be notoriously delayed if you’re moving into a brand-new building, or previous tenants may not vacate as quickly as planned. Accept the added lease-cost overhead, and give yourself an extra three months in your old space to overlap your new one.
- Finish Construction Before Your Move: Construction delays may tempt you to move into a space before it’s completely built out. That’s rarely a good idea. Between the noise of workers finishing your space, the hassles of not having adequate facilities and the risk of dust burning up your IT systems, just resist the urge to move into a half-finished space.
- Map Your Move: It’s highly unlikely that relocating your business moves you into a space identically configured to your new location. Before the move, plan how you’ll use your space , even so far as taking measurements of the new location and plotting new workspaces, common areas and sales floors. Plan your move as precisely as possible, and work with movers at your new location to arrange your new space as close to its final, business-as-usual configuration as you envision. We’re here to ensure your move goes smoothly and you get settled as easily as possible, not just to truck cargo from one office to another.
Even with careful planning, relocating your business can be tricky. Give your moving plans some elasticity to keep unforeseen events from turning from hiccups into catastrophes. WSI Moving’s staff is experts at relocating your business. Call 970.568.5210 to schedule your move today.